Art

Art
Unfolding Entities, Realms, Perspectives, Transformations and Resonances...

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Square One

Abstract painting by Olivier Hijmans
Square One, 40 x 40 cm acrylic on canvas, © Olivier Hijmans 2015
My recent take on Cubism. Quite literally. This is about as abstract as it gets for me. (Except for this one perhaps..). But I love the nevertheless very organic nature and depth in this painting, if I may say so myself.

A longtime admirer of Mondrian, I have always been touched by the power of Cubism. There are a few Cubist works by Mondrian and Picasso that can even move me to tears when I stare at them for a sufficient length of time.. this actually happened to me once in the great Guggenheim Museum of New York, which is a work of art in its own right.

I can be very clear about this painting, called Square One. There is no hidden mandolin or accordionist to be found, and no attempt to depict anything whatsoever. But there is music. A huge realm of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment